Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 1: Getting Our Legs

After an eventful evening at the Kukla residence full of NCAA sports, libation, food, banter, and feats of strength. We even had a discussion about how to fix accountability in US schools.

I think most of the world's problems were solved.

We hit the road about 12pm from Joes and shortly thereafter I had a minor tire issue that was absolved.

We rolled in a strong headwind all day. The weather apps said 17mph, but it had to be at least 30.

We were laughing and talking about how many awesome cars there are down here and how many strip malls and furniture stores. Cars for the husbands, novelty stores for the ladies. There cannot be a down economy on the roads we have rode. For instance we found Michael J. Fox's storage house.

A store housed 29 Deloreans. That's right 29! Didn't they only make 200? They were awesome. I mean the Shelby Cobras, Lamborghini's, and Porsches were cool, but I want the Delorean. None of them had the flux capacitor, but it's a trade off I'll take.

We stopped at Flacos and had some great Mexican food. Timely service, clean, and very simple staples, but without a lot of the cover up. The chicken was sliced perfectly and the portions were solid. They made their own salsa in the restaurant and hit a home run. Great stop. The waitress seemed to fit the look of this areas of RV parks and gentlemen a clubs.

We pressed on.

We rolled upon a body of water with fresh seafood joints galore. We hit the breaks and pulled into Snippers seafood. Unfortunate for us they had 2 for 1 happy hour and .60 oysters. We had to stop. I mean come on, they were practically giving that stuff away.

We watched the end of the Indiana game (sort of) but mostly told stories and recounted funny things about past rides. The oysters were smooth and not too fishy. The hot sauce was dynamite. We noticed something while at the oyster joint.

We were the youngest ones there, and by a lot. In fact, we've been the youngest ones every where. I mean I love the retired dudes rolling in fab cars and those couples packing eateries, but it's kind of eerie. It's like the walking dead but instead of zombies, it's retirees. I mean it's cool, but when you around 14-19 year olds everyday like I am you are like what the...

Finally,we hit the ride and closed the gap to the campsite, but bot before seeing the big cat sign. We learned that this in Panther country. Sweet. We rolled in, set up tents, and hit the showers for a rinse (Griz/Herrig). Once we got out of the shower the skis opened and a thunderstorm soaked everything. Luckily for me, Danny put my rain fly on.

We waited it out.

It stopped and we headed for the bar and grill just outside of the park. Turns out the lovely people in this area closed up shop at 9:30. The place and the adjacent gas station were closed. We called 6 pizza places and 2 Chinese joints for food- no one would deliver. So we don't eat.

Well I mean as I type this we are eating gummy bears and having some libation, but no real nutrients. Oh well gotta keep on keeping on.

Things I noticed about Florida:
1) Lots of spring hue-polo shirts and sun dresses- for people over 60.

2) So many awesome cars. Probably number one car is a corvette, but tons of sports cars.

3) We may be the youngest people in Florida not a cesspool beach for spring break.

4) Has more versions of RV type parks then Beiber has albums.

5) Who closes restaurants before 10!!! Come on!?! Really?

2 things I think:

1) I think I will buy a Delorean when I get back from Venezuela. I mean how cool are those doors?

2) I think tomorrow will be the day we see a gator or big snake. We are cruising through the Everglades and all bets are off. I have my Bear Grylls knife and I want a souvenir.

Well I better get back to the gummy bears and conversation.

If you are in NYC or Clinton or anywhere with snow I feel for you. We plan on bottling up this weather and bringing it back to share.

Tune in again tomorrow to see where the road takes us.

Just keep L-I-V-I-N,
KRS






























No comments:

Post a Comment