Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Bazaar and Food

Howdy.

It's been a busy week down here in the land of sunshine and Bolivar.

Nothing too exciting but some unique activities.

Holiday Bazaar Social

This weekend we had the Holiday Bazaar.  It is a gathering at the school were local small vendors bring their goods and sell them to the students, faculty, and families of CIC.  It also has a lot of traditional Venezuelan foods for sale.  Much of the proceeds go to PROM, but there were also several charity drives and activities held by the study body.  Naturally this old boy had to work and supervise the junior class, who surprisingly did a great job selling sodas.


More crafts and bags.

I know what you are thinking, where are the dudes? They are sitting and eating while their wives spend the money.

Another view of the stuff.

They has skull and crossbones tights... for girls. 
One of the big sellers was a traditional Venezuelan holiday dish.  Marinated pork, potatoes and carrots, pan de jamon, salad and beverages.  It was pretty awesome. I love pan de jamon.  You would too, just look at it...

It is about 97% awesome and 3% weird. 
Outside of the food and vendors, there were games and activities even a dunk thank that several of my friends "got" to partake in. They were good sports about it.  The day was a success and much money was raised for all the charities and Prom.  
The whole meal for 150 BsF.

MUN (Model United Nations)

Model United Nations (also Model UN or MUN) is an academic simulation of the United Nations that aims to educate participants about current events, topics in international relations, diplomacy and the United Nations agenda. (wikipedia) 

This past week we also had a bunch of students out for MUN.  It was a multiple day activity in Caracas where the students get to role play as delegates representing a country and approaching different issues.  I had never heard of it before this past week, but it is a really cool organization and the students seem to really enjoy it.  

Secondary Music Concert

Tonight was the secondary music concert where the middle and high school choirs and musicians got to showcase their talents.  The students were very focused and did a nice job.  As the school is a smaller than CHS, the number of students and families in attendance surprised me.  But all things considered the number of students involved were very good when compared to our total number of students.  Mr. Moy did a nice job combining a variety of styles and pieces into the program with the main showcase being the ensemble playing a variety of jazz pieces to end the program. I got a kick out of the number of parents using a variety of technology to film their kids.  

Reception problems.  

Beiber show?  Nope.

Vanas

This week we have another Vanas tournament.  My varsity girls softball team will look to capture the title as we host the tournament. Tomorrow I will sort out the lineup and put girls into positions I see them playing throughout the tourney.  We have had so many activities and events that it has been hard to get all of them to practice at the same time.  If you couple that with in climate weather we missed a lot of chances to improve, but I think we'll be OK.  I'm less scared of the competition as I am the backlash when a girl doesn't start or play right away.  Oh well, it's only a three day tournament and then it's over.  Plus, winning cures everything- we win and I'll be OK.    

Random Thoughts

1.  Jon, Ryan, and I watched the Bears vs. Ravens game this past weekend (Jon being the lone Ravens fan).  It was a crazy game with even crazier weather.  I miss the Midwestern unpredictability, but no one wants tragic in the form of 70 tornadoes, especially near the holidays.  Thoughts and prayers go out to the those affected.

2.  The weather here is much less humid and even has a good breeze during the afternoon.  The weather and time of year has tricked my body into thinking its near homecoming or fall.  Those two things don't happen here and my body will not be ready for the karate roundhouse of winter I'm sure to suffer when I get back to the Panther State.  

3.  Congrats to Clinton High's David Johnson (RB of UNI) on shaking off some injuries to record 179 yards on 39 touches and 2TDs.  Great to see someone overcome adversity, especially when they are a great kid.  

4. I just can't get into the Christmas spirit here.  The decor is all over, music in some stores, and the holiday food is out in force. I just don't feel it when I haven't had Thanksgiving AND when it's still nearly 90 out. 

5.  I am hoping to send out a few writing samples to a fairly reputable website this week to apply for a weekly column.  We'll see what happens.  Can't hurt to try right?  I'll keep you posted.

6.  I am also looking for a real job so if you know someone who knows someone that has an opening in journalism or education forward my name.  Thanks. 

7.  The new Arcade Fire is really good.  If you like them, some dancey-type music, or fun you'll probably dig it.  

8.  Positive vibes and good health to all my friends, family, and former colleagues who are coaching up the winter sports now.  The road to a state title has started, may your journey be enjoyable and healthy. 

9.  I found a store with Twix candy bars today.  It was awesome.  I would barely ever buy one in the states, but it was like a diamond in the sand today while I was waiting with the Brazil crew at the travel agency for 3 hours to get the changes to our flight done.  

10.  Ryan saw a guy running and texting on a flip phone yesterday when he was out and about.  That is like finding a Pegasus.  If I was only so lucky to see that.  All I've seen while working out is 'rioded up bros doing half reps over the dumbest lifts possible.  

I can't believe it's already the middle of November!  It's really cranking now.  It won't be long and it'll be Christmas...so wild.  I really dig the people doing the one thing they are thankful for each day.  I'm usually anti that type of thing on social media, but if more people were thankful and not as worried about what (insert celebrity) was doing with (insert celebrity #2/action/chemical) the world would be better.  If people can feed of the thankfulness of others and enjoy what they have rather than what they think they should have (based on society or friends) I think people would be happier and happy is good.

But I digress.

That's all for now folks.  I'll be sure to let you know how the tournament goes. Send my team some positive vibes to take it easy on me with their attitudes haha.  

Stay warm and stay classy.

Until next time,
KRS

No comments:

Post a Comment