Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Incidental Loophole

The big machine keeps on spinning down here in Valencia.  Just when you think things are getting to normal, something goes awry.  

But I guess that is normal.

Political 

Things for the most part have maintained their current trajectory.  There are still marches and demonstrations around the country, some violent and some not.  The imprisoned mayors and police chief have remained detained and now a deputy to the National Assembly, Maria Corina Machado has had her seat taken from her.  

According to the Caracas Chronicles, "To put the event in context for US readers, imagine Harry Reid kicking Ted Cruz from the Senate, or John Boehner doing same to Nancy Pelosi." The inner party is in full control.

It doesn't look like much, but this line of cars was long and annoyingly loud. 

This is Ghostrider requesting a flyby. Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full...or not. 

Oh, and the president of the country also threatened to bomb the entire state of Tachira.  

The National Assembly was surrounded by the military (because that's normal) during its session today. 

Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia (or was it Eastasia).      

School

It's back to as normal as it can be. The extra 70 minute period at the end of the day, is like some obscene Roman torture device some days.  The kids can't physically handle it.  I mean who couldn't sit through five 70-82min classes in a day?  A 16 year old's attention span is definitely longer than that right?

I digress.

Today we had a bit of an exodus during 5th block as news of guarimbas (roadblocks) were getting put up.  After my PT, I was driving back and saw several already up.  One was well crafted with the sewer grating that goes perpendicular across the road were taken out, flipped up, filled with trash, and then lit on fire.  Think Super Mario-esq obstacle meets real life.

The third quarter ends Friday, and for some kids judgement day is upon them.  All the false promises of work to be turned in has settled and now the consequences of their inaction is upon them.  (Sorry, I've been reading Dante's Inferno and 1984 every day).

Loopholes

Well I officially am profiting off a loophole.  Like any country, many civilians find the loopholes in government programs.  For example, the US has welfare and food-stamp exploiters.  In Venezuela, many citizens will travel abroad and use their Cadivi (foreign travel allotment) to get some dollars while abroad.  I used another technique (without trying) that was brought up in an old Caracas Chronicles article.  

I went to the doctor.

I'm not Kobe going to Germany for blood treatment, but we are attacking my rehab. 


Let me explain:

Doc appointment and X-Ray= 1000 BsF 
Physical Therapy Evaluation= 320 BsF
Physical Therapy Session= 240 BsF (x6)
TOTAL= 2,760 BsF 

On the insurance form you choose the currency you want to be reimbursed for your care in.  I chose the good old USD.  

At the official 6.3 BsF (to $1 USD) rate that is approximately $438 that I have paid upfront for all these services.

Now the loophole...

I sold $100 at 87 BsF for a dollar giving me 8,700 BsF which is what I used to pay for my treatment so far.

Meaning, I actually spent $31.72 for all of that listed above.

Now take that state official rate cost (438) subtract what I actually paid (31.72) and that gives you...
$406 (these calculations aren't exact, so math friends relax)

After meeting the deductible and a few additional fees, I got reimbursed $316.84. I spent $31.72 and got 316.84 back. 

Crazy.  By no means am I bragging about this, but this is a flaw in the government system that provides people with the (almost im-) proper means (knowledge, person they know, finances, etc) to take advantage of and generate capital.  

I did confer with a local colleague (Frank) if this would be OK to share and he said it was fine.  It's not illegal, it's just the way it is.  

I guess here 2+2 does equal 5.

Notes

1) Frank celebrated his birthday this past week and it was a fun time.  Lucky for us the country cooperated with no civil disturbances. He made a great playlist too, just saying if teaching doesn't work out he could DJ. 
We're in the band.

2) I got cleared to play soccer, so I'm really hoping the game against our varsity doesn't get cancelled tomorrow.  I'm eager to get on the pitch, I may just rock my new USMNT jersey.

3) Prices are starting to really go up.  If you got a kilo of roast beef (lunch meat) at the bakery it would cost you 520 BsF or $82 USD.  Be thankful you have Hyvee, Costco, Whole Foods or whatever hipster market you go to.  Frank wrote about a large coffee at these bakeries generates them 7,500% profit due to the mark up. Crazy.

4) We are headed back to Caracas for Brazil visa round 2.  I hope this fight doesn't go 3 rounds, because we might not be able to go.  The school is in a tough spot with letting us get out of work while needing us to teach.  There is no personal days, but by contract you can  receive a day off for a visa. With all the changes in flights (due to VZ not paying the airlines [don't worry the just agreed to last week]), and the modified school day time off is a commodity.  

5) My building has been rationing water (only an hour or so three times a day)... guess who found that out the hard way?

My new canteen/wineskin.  Reminds me of the leg lamp for A Christmas Story, but mine is real skin/hair.

Ryan Robinson's Links of Knowledge 

Valencia this afternoon.

"I will send the tanks, the troops, the air force..."

Maria Corina loses her seat.  

An Economist article regarding how many bolivares makes up a dollar.  

Stopping hoarding and shortages in one swoop.  


Take easy on down the trail this week.  I heard Spring is making an appearance to the North, good thing too.  You guys earned it.  

If you are keeping track at home on the number of days left until it's summer break for me, it's 73.

Here's to the trip to Caracas going easy.

Until Next Time,

KRS

No comments:

Post a Comment