Friday, December 20, 2013

A Week of... Not Much (And That Ain't Bad)

It's almost Christmas!  A week from today many of you will have the post-Christmas hangover and not from booze (well maybe a few of you), but for many it's the climax of a pretty stressful/busy time.

Take a few minutes to yourself prior the the final push next week and really take a look at what is important and really is "stressful".  I'm sure the lines won't seem as long, the significant others/kids/relatives won't be so testy, and you'll be able to understand what it's all about.  Giving, breaking bread with those we care about, and reflecting on how well we have it.

Trust me, I had to take a big, heaping scoop of this advice this past week.  But I think mentally I'm ready for the push.

A Vacation Bum Stirs 

After the first two weeks (sorry, I can't help it's a long break) of literally being a bum (reading, writing, lifting, hoops, some TV, and other mindless activities) and only going into public to see old friends and colleagues, I actually did some things.

This past week I cooked dinner, donated some money/gifts, announced two swim meets, did some Christmas shopping, went to the library (the have paper books there still!), and worked on my bike.  I also went and watched CHS wrestle Assumption and Bettendorf (both teams are ranked 1) and the Kings did a nice job of competing.  This is the first meet I haven't had to coach or work, so it was interesting to see how people in the crowd act.  Perspective, perspective.

I'm pretty thankful for having the time off to see friends, hang with family, and do the little things that you cannot do in VZ.  I honestly have started feeling guilty about not having much to do.

The Schneeberger Compound is looking like the it'll be busy this upcoming week with a few Christmas events and whatever else seems to pop up.  No rest for the weary on the frontside of the holiday season, but after the big day it seems to slow down.

My house + snow and dramatic lighting.

Pabellon criollo made by yours truly. 

Our paper carrier leaves a treat everyday.  She doesn't have much but gives anyway.  Lesson learned.

I'll Speak But Not Preach

This past weekend I was asked to speak for a few minutes at church and provide insight on giving.  Now being raised in an environment that has never put much emphasis on money, yet knowing the work it took/takes to provide I wanted to be sure to not direct my talk about giving financially (I know churches all need money, but I felt it wasn't my place.  Plus this time of year that's the last thing people want to hear).  I instead gave insight on the conditions of VZ, the income, and the unconditional giving that their culture has and that I have received.  I tried to not be holier than thou but rather to outline many ways that people can give that can make not only the congregation, community, and beyond, better, but to remind people that it can be simple and cost free.  I know in 2013 we have no "time" (I'm guilty of the I'm too busy feeling as much as anyone), but if you look at how you are spending your non-work time, I'm sure you (and your family) can give in some way.  I thought I did a fair job, but I left out one bullet point I wanted to touch on.  I'm much more calm and collected in a classroom or in front of teachers not the podium.

Calm 

The days have been rather calm and uneventful, which has been actually pretty cool.  I've been doing some research on Hemingway and his Cuban exploits.  Looking to follow the crumbs he left behind when I get there.  

The weather here has been pretty wild.  Last week bitter cold, one day of sunlight, and then yesterday some freezing rain.  No big deal, just an observation.  I mean how long are most of us outside? 10 minutes a day to walk to and from one's car?  I can suck it up and make the walk.  The problem is now my body is getting used to it, so I'll be sweating like a fool upon my return.  So it goes. 
Dad (L); Me (R)
Elbows out thumbs up.  

Don't be seduced by the awesome sweaters.

Really?  "Suitable" come on Hallmark, you're better than that. 

Observations

1.  I know check my email approximately five times a day hoping to see something from one of the universities I applied at.  If checking more frequently added to my chance of getting a response, I'd be sitting good.

2.  My surgically repaired nose is sound.  I got rocked twice in the beak playing hoops this week and no issues (thank God, I thought I broke it.  I had the sick feeling, eyes water, pain of a break.  I must be getting soft).

ICE CITY!
3.  People driving in snow and/or ice texting/snapchatting/tweeting/insertstupidthing are still abound. If you are doing these things you should not drive in poor conditions.  If you don't care about your life when you are riding down the highway at 65+ think about your kid.  The football field you drove while you were looking at your screen should be seen by your eyes not just your kids.  

4.  I have wasted too much time watching meaningless TV.  I went from no TV to a TV on a lot, man it is easy to get distracted.

5.  Tights.  When a girl wears them in the winter and then complains about cold I can't help but wonder what they thought it was like outside.  Over heard a conversation at Target between a mom and daughter both in tights about how it is so cold out and that they can't wait for summer.  I thought we all can't wait for summer, but there are like three wardrobe steps you could make to be much warmer.  

6.  Speaking of Target, they  had summer swimsuits and apparel out.  The corporate machine never flinches. 

7.  I feel guilty when I walk past a bell ringer when I have no money.  I feel they are judging me.  I look them in the eye and tell them that I only have a debit or that I'll get them on the way back.  Ah, guilt.

8.  I think I have a super power.  I can put off Christmas shopping until the very last minute and the perfect gift just seems to draw me in.  One day, 1.5 hours (including drive time) and done.  Kaboom.

9.  Speaking of Kaboom, some clown Assumption fan in front of me would say "BOOM" when a kid was about to get pinned.  My brother Marcus was getting pissed, but I just wanted to know, why boom?  I mean that's the best you got?  I know many calls have been done, but boom?  Raise your game. 

10.  I know this is three days past my usual, but I just had no material.  Nothing funny happened and I had explored some of the bigger topics in previous posts.  The holiday's will be sure to generate some 

That's it for this week.  Tune back in for next week's holiday addition.  I'll give you a little insight to the Schneeberger Family Christmas (always an adventure) and some analysis of holiday media.

Have a great weekend.  Safe travels!

Until next time,

KRS

No comments:

Post a Comment