Thursday, July 12, 2012

Finally Flat

Today started off like last night ended. Ernest and Eileen taking care of. Ian, Johnny Earlybird, was up drinking coffee with them and then came down bearing the bad news of waking up. I was having a cool dream too, I was recruited to be the next Batman and was getting fitted for my suit then, "Dude, time to get up."
"Bah," I thought. Dark Knight Rises can't come soon enough.

Breakfast was awesome. Ernest started the meal with a very sound, and moving prayer. We all joined hands, and he blessed the food and our journey. I think he almost broke my hand too- guy has a farmers grip. The meal consisted of a mixed fruit dish, egg casserole, biscuits with homemade peach preserves, and orange juice. It was 100% American Midwest.

Ernest and Eileen are great people, we are honored to have met them. The were our Oklahoma Angels and blessed us with a great ride today.

It would have been better if my body would have worked right when I woke up, I was dropping things and being clumsy all day.

Two funny things that happened to me: 1) I dropped a water bottle at 23 mph, killing our momentum and speed. Apparently, I can't talk, ride, and put a bottle back in the rack.
2) I rode nearly 87 miles with a dime in my left shoe. Didn't even know it was there until I was getting ready to shower. If that doesn't scream BA I don't know what does.

We finally got our legs back toady with flat road and near perfect tailwind all day.

Today was hot. A few signs were north of a hundred. Lucky for us the interested ladies in our lives' (John and Ian's wives, and my mom encouraged is to use SPF 174. This stuff actually reflects the sun back off of us. I feel bad for the states north of us if the heat gets worse as we get near. Also, if anyone knows how get rid of heat rash let me know, my quads have it.

We followed orders and stopped every 10 or so for shade and water. I think I drank 8-10 24oz bottles of water and Gatorade today. As the people in Boston say, "It wuz whickkid hawt out."

No really notable stops today. We did stop at a great Mexican restaurant, El Charro, in Kingfisher for lunch. Good AC, better food.

Most of the other stops were random gas stations along 81. The construction workers, truckers, and gas station employees were really nice, but flabbergasted on what were doing.

In Dover (not Delaware) for instance,
Guy: "Iowa? Holy $4hit man you guys are tough or crazy. Why would you do this on your vacation?"
Ian: "I sit in front of a computer all day.
Guy: "Ah, I get it. Total opposite thing. You guys are still nuts."

We rolled into Enid, OK with planes circling us like buzzards over the prairie. Pilots practicing landings in take offs at Vance AFB. The town was packed so we had call around to find a hotel room (literally the last one in town) because there was no camping anywhere. Sleeping in a bed is ok by me.

Ian and John have started a game to try to dial in on my future female interest. It has provided some laughs for sure.

Quote of the Day:
"When does this God d@mn trail end?" - Ian in regard to another Chisholm Trail Sign. The 837th sign we have seen.

Ian Fredrick Hembry's Travel Trip of the Day:
"Shoulders (as in next to roads) are good. Cracks, glass, and inbreds are bad."

John Cernohous Daily Dose of Wisdom:
"I don't think so."

Nate Herrig's Just Tell me About the Good Section: Tamale Combo meal with rice, beans, and macaroni (yep, noodles). Great stuff, really flavorful. Didn't just get the usually chips and salsa starter because they also give cheese dip! Jackpot!

Five Things I Learned Today:

1) The Chisholm Trail will never end.
2) Apparently every town in OK runs north to south and is all blue collar.
3) Enid hates cyclists. People yelled at us, drove right next to us, and a baseball team screamed obscenities and shook their bats at us- with their coach driving. Classy.
4) People not on the vacation somehow forget the meaning of vacation.
5) People have apparently dropped dead along the Chisholm Trail because there are hundreds of cemetery's.

Shooting for a hundred miles tomorrow. Hoping the weather and roads are on board with that plan.

Wichita awaits.

I included some pictures of Ernest and Eileen, and the look out of their front door as we prepared to leave.

Also, I took a picture of the price of Keystone Light in Bison, OK. Good thing our Strangebrew brethren weren't there or things may have gotten reckless.

Until tomorrow,

KRS

No comments:

Post a Comment