Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Softball, Trailers, Fashion and some live Texas music

Yesterday/night was a dip into all things Austin.

After checking out Hembry's office and meeting his associates, I wandered the campus of UT. It was stupid hot out and I chose the most sun beaten path down Guadalupe (which Ian tells me is pronounced in the most plain-bread America way as yet another way to stick it to the Mexican-Americans and remind them of their loss at the Alamo).

Guadalupe is like a longer Ped-Mall (of IC lore) and like everything else in Texas, bigger. The campus is a cross between Ohio State's and Iowa's. Mostly centrally located, but also in the center-ish of Austin.

While crusin campus I was almost hit by a car, because apparently in Austin when someone crosses the street it's game on. I received some ridicule from some backpack toting, Nike running short wearing undergrads. A shot that I shrugged off. I continued my journey throughout campus until I realized much to my dismay that I had become lost. It was a nostalgic situation, but instead of the embarrassment I felt from my Cedar Falls days, I was just looking for a way out of the magnifying glass covered sun I felt that was hovering over me. I picked a building to seek shelter and low and behold it was Hembry's building.

I sat and waiting for his meeting to conclude and received a variety of looks from the four anti-house wives of UT that were either studying or professor-ing. He finished up we grabbed some lunch with his colleague in the dining center and hit the road. I think all college food is the same, but I gave a slight edge to UNI.

I was then recruited by Hembry's softball team that consisted of 5 sub that have never played organize ball and it showed. After keeping it close we got rolled. The cats across the diamond were playing for keeps. At one point they took four walks in a row. Two 30 something's on the opposing ball clubs walked consecutively in two innings. Gamers. I think they are looking to make the World Series. Apparently, they take their softball serious here in the Lone Star state. I should note that I played without cleats and biffed it twice. Once while trying to turn two I lost my footing and pulled a Wayne Rooney like bicycle kick on total accident and didn't make the play. Another slip and near faceplate on a double and I was required to ease my humiliation via the cool smoothness of a Miller High life tall boy (American can of course).

Post epic loss, we showered and headed down to find some local chow. We ended up in a trailer park of 8 food trailers ranging from Pizza to Mexican to vegan food. Austin has thousands of these food trailers and the selection of what type of food and what dish is quite overwhelming the music from Rocky 4 rushed into my brain I opted for a the "Balboa" a Rocky inspired Philly cheese steak. After finishing the people's sandwich I thought of an Anthony Bourdain quote about Austin. "The next time I come back to Austin I'll eat my way across down and bloated and unconscious by the end." The food is great.

From there we went to a cool bar call the Mohawk that doubles as a music venue. The Mohawk has two stages one inside and one outside with a variety of points of view you can watch the gig from. It has four different levels outside, several different rooms inside, and a super intimidating bar tender who studies Brazilian Ju Jit Zu (sp?).

The opening band was skilled but monotonous. They wanted to be like Mumford and Sons or the Avett Brothers, but were lacking something. The were skilled players just not m thing.

The headliner was a band called Sons of Fathers. They played with great energy and were reminiscent of a Ryan Adams type (skilled in many genres) with good two part harmonies. They played a solid 1.5 hour set with a cool rendition of "Don't Let Me down" by the Beatles to close out the show. They really picked up the intensity throughout the gig and won the crowd over. If you are curious to what they may sound like check out the song Sons of Fathers (same name as the band).

Last but not least Austin fashion. It's pretty gnarly. Ian's wife Tracey but it best, "No matter what I choose to wear its always more formal than most people." The girls and guys are all over the map with their style and tomorrow I'll give you a breakdown of what typifies and Austinite.

Hope your fourth wasn't too hot, your beverages were cold, and your company was warm.

Until then,
KRS

No comments:

Post a Comment