Monday, July 16, 2012

Three states, three guys, and the open road

Big day for the Cavalcade today. Rode through three states, had some three digit heat, and finally made it to Iowa. Phase one of the journey is nearly complete.

Recap.
Good night's sleep in tent for Hembry and I, the Starlite Inn for John, and a great breakfast at Lori's Cafe in Seneca. Some really well cooked breakfast food, prompt service, and run by a family. They also asked us why we're we riding all the way from Texas, we still don't have an answer. Except maybe, "Why not?"

As you can imagine the roads were hilly and Kansas has huge gaps between "real towns", not fake unincorporated ones.

We luckily had a S/SW wind and decent temperatures when we left. The wind stayed with us, but the hills got a little higher, and longer. Then it got wicked hot. Like the kind of heat that when you walk from your house to the car and you start sweating and try to situate yourself so you leave no visible prespiration marks when you get to your destination. Don't lie, you've been there.

At about mile 45-50, and my cursing the state of NE for back shoulders, hills, and road work, we stopped for lunch at Darking's Cafe in Auburn, NE.

Surprisingly, no one had heard of Cam Newton or War Eagle, but the old timers really liked us. The asked us the usual questions, gave their insight, and marveled at our bikes. They were quite jovial. Maybe to the point if they were in a high school lunch I'd have to tell them to keep it down. I also have determined that when I retire I want to do what they do. I want to sit around laughing, joking around, drinking coffee, and people watching. They thought our spandex was snazzy. I bet I could of got a date with one of the grandma's, she liked my jersey (my dating life is at sub-zero temps right now, her comment boosted the ego a little). Wait don't all grandma's think everyone is cute and nice. Wah, Wah, Wah.

The rest of the day was full of pretty good long pulls, heat, and gravel shoulders. Again, I was the slow guy on the fat bike. I got a little frustrated (ask Ian, he had to coach me out of having the red eye several times) throughout the day. I also had to show Ian what he left back at the bottom of the hill, my third finger on my left hand (the middle one). It was all in good fun as after I caught up to them we hit a flatter spot.

At the top of the last NE hill we could see the river valley and the beautiful state of IA. The ride in was awesome, pretty much a long descent over the Missouri and back to where it all began. As we crossed the state line I gave a Lance like flex (hope Ian got the picture).

We stopped at the "Welcome to Iowa" sign for an impromptu photo shoot, complete with me Tebowing (Ian's idea, remember he leans to the nerdy side). We stopped at a Cenex just off the highway. The young woman behind the counter asked the usual questions and we provided the usual answer. Except I think this young lady didn't knew where Texas was. It's ok though, she got the change right.

The ride into the bluffs by Waubonsie state park was a beautiful climb. The tall trees gave us some much needed shade, but the roads were long and the climbs steep. The ten miles to Sidney were hilly, especially into town. John and Ian had a race up one of the final hill. I watched from a safe distance (and pace), John had a good jump, but Ian took the polka dot jersey.

We climbed over 3,500 feet throughout the course of the day today. We complete anywhere between 87-90+ miles depending on who's computer you looked at. It was a solid day of riding.

Ian's friend Jared got a hold of their friend Andy Johnson, who talked to his parents, who let us stay at their beautiful home. The Johnson's raised seven kids so their place was more than accommodating.

John and Nancy cooked us BLTs, beans, pickled cucumber, potato salad, and blue berry pie. It was awesome. Later, Ian's old baseball coach stopped over and shared some stories about Ian, Jared, and his squad. Some funny stuff. Talk about a nice Iowa homecoming.

It's kind of sad to know that we have one more day left to Emerson, then a few days off before the ride to Ragbrai. Where did the time go? I don't even know what day it is actually- no watch. That has been part of the majesty of the trip, no deadlines, no concrete plans, just keep moving and see where you get. I've really enjoyed it, even though Ian's left-brained idealism basically cattle prods me daily to get moving.

Ian Fredrick Hembry's Travel Tip of the Day: "Husker country still sucks"

John Cernohous Daily Dose of Wisdom: "Your butt cramps when you laugh hard, so watch where and when you laugh."

Nate Herrig's Just Tell me About the Food Section:
Darling Cafe, Auburn, NE. Small menu, big taste. You can look right back in the kitchen and see the ladies cooking away. John and Ian got the pork tenderloin and I got a patty melt. We all gave it solid B's. Good pie as well, I recommend Cherry Pie (sing it with me, "She's my cherry pie...", don't lie you know the words).

Five Things I Learned Today:
1) The three of us now have the ability to identify animals based on their death smell.

2) Never turn down a piece of pie at a cafe no matter what the small town cafe looks like.

3) Gas stations with handicap ramps and indoor seating are far more superior than those without.

4) No matter where you ride in July it's still hot. Dry heat and humid hast are still hot. Case in point: it was hotter in KS/NE/IA than TX the last few days.

5) I do not like hills with my pannier (saddle bags) loaded Surly. "Give me my Specialized and no panniers and I'll climb this beast at 18 mph"- me getting fed up of the continual up and down of the first 50 miles.
*I'm grateful for the patience of John and Ian. The hilly days were tough.

I had Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" in my head all day. The chorus just keep playing over and over. I'm sure there is symbolism in their for each of us three respectively.

I know mine was that a lot of people thought this trip was dumb, or that I'd never finish it, or why would I do it. I don't really know why specifically, other than it was an adventure, a trial of sorts. To see if I can do it, spend some time with a friend, and meet a new one.

The days on the bike are long and quiet riding. We maybe talk an hour a day while riding (up to nearly 10 hours some days) and then at stops. It's a lot of time to think, dream, and let go. It was great, not what I thought it would be, but what I needed. It's openness my eyes to something's and given me inspiration about my next big adventure.

Well, my legs are blasted and I'm tired so I'm going to sign off. Tomorrow we are going to check our weight on a scale to see if we lost any weight on the trip. Any bets?

It's nice to be back in Iowa, but the trips not over. There's still another week and a half. Plus when we meet up with Strangebrew business will pick up.

FYI, Ian had his first Casey's pizza in an undisclosed amount of time. He said it was a "slice of heaven."
Have a good one.

Until tomorrow,

KRS

No comments:

Post a Comment