Monday, August 12, 2013

1/180

Happy Monday. [Sorry no pictures today]

Today marked the first day of the new school year for all of us here at CIC and many of you were back listening to your local state of the union address from your headmaster/superintendent.

Hope you're all jacked up after the rah-rah speech and ready to go.

Today was a different type of schedule for us.  We run an A/B block with four classes per day, and Tuesday holds our "advisory" period (think homeroom).  Today was pretty cool, it was nice to not see 30+ students per class, but seeing 8 in my Newspaper class was kind of weird.

The day started off with a speech by our principal which explained changes in policy, new teachers, and new facilities/additions to the school.  I thought about breaking out my Miss America wave when my name was called, but went for a wave and a salute instead (street cred in tact).

I did notice how well behaved the students were during the speech.  The cheered the points Mr. Chicas was making, the other speakers, and especially the new facilities.  The new cafeteria (with AC).  The kids roared.  

At this point, I thought I may have had hallucinogens in my coffee.

After we broke out of the assembly we shuttled the students to our respective advisory rooms to get them schedules, planners, and materials.  We talked shop, the kids asked about me, I neglected their request, and got the itinerary accomplished much to their chagrin.  I told them next advisory I'd clue them in on me, and the metropolis known as Clinton.

I did show the students an aerial picture of Clinton and one thought it was Detroit.  I said yeah, I know Eminem.  He looked puzzled.  I broke the news to him that the body of water was the Mississippi and the town was Clinton.  He laughed.  

The classes flowed in and out.  I presented my procedures, expectations, syllabi, and philosophy the kids all listened, or at least weren't looking too spacey.  If the kids think the first day is boring, try being the teacher.  It's like a continual Ground Hog Day. I asked how many students had completed the summer assignment that is due Thursday (about 85% had).

Yeah, a summer assignment.  I know, I know- it's almost too much.

The juniors were chatty, the sophs were excited, and the seniors were in senior mode.  Overall, it was a solid day.  I think the kids are excited to hear more about me tomorrow and know more about this tie-wearing gringo.

The twenty-five minutes went quick, but the results of the litmus test were good.  Obviously the first day is like a new toy and it always seems great right away.  I was worried about how I'd feel in the the classroom around these bilingual students, but it was like riding a bike.

They have to speak English in school and specifically in class to help their skills, but sometimes they switch to spanish when they are unsure or casually talking to a friend.  I told them that it was unfair and that if I couldn't be a part of the conversation, even if it was making fun of me, than we shouldn't have it.  The laughed and thought it was fair.  We'll see.

I just got home from the gym and got beat up during the TRX class.

I'll have a better write up tomorrow analyzing some cultural differences in the school.

Until then, take care.


KRS

1 down and 179 to go (haha).


1 comment: