Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Teaching Duality

Happy Tuesday!

Big day over here for this guy today.  I got a bank account (boom!).  AND it came with a debit card.  I know, I know, I can't believe it either.  Don't act like you're not impressed.  It only took about two hours, seven signatures and seven thumb prints.  Yeah, it's that real here.  But hey, I have an account now, it has literally zero dollars bolivars, but it is a bank account.  So I got that going for me.

Gabes you need to start drinking this and fighting like...


Day two was puppies and rainbows.  There is no way this can continue.  I'm on edge like a thirty zebra at an African water pool frantically scanning the savanna for a pair of eyes that scream lioness.  I will not be caught flat footed! However, if it stays like this I will not complain...ever.

I had two classes today, two preps, our student break, lunch, and an assembly to nominate student council officers.  With my English teacher may that put me about 142mins of teaching, 242 minutes of planning, lunch, and the elections.  Don't worry kids I have three 82 minute classes tomorrow and only 102 minutes of planning time.

Having time to actually plan, prepare, and create is awesome.  I have a series of websites (if you want to see them teacher friends message me- they were really easy to create) for my classes, developed some really cool stuff, and have some material that I think the kids will love.  Time to create/think openly, is the greatest gift anyone can receive, especially as a teacher.  I think I will get a lot better this year.

This my classroom, aka the "House of Learned Doctors".
More about the elections: the principal had an assembly in the comedor (cafeteria, you just learned a Spanish word, well done!)  that allowed grades 6-12 to nominate, second, and third a person to run for the various offices.  If a candidate was nominated he/she could accept or decline.  I thought this was going to be an epic train wreck, but it wasn't.  The kids had fun with it, but they were respectful.  Prior to the voting our Drama teacher explained to the students that we are putting on "Beauty and the Beast" and the place erupted like a Bieber concert (never been, just assuming).  The kids cheered and clapped before listening to directions, during which they were quiet.  I've never seen anything like this.

Students leaving school walking past the comedor on the left.  

Noticeable Differences

I promised to talk about the international school here in Valencia.  These are not judgements, rather how I see things through my unique lens, and I hope this gives you a better feel for what CIC is all about.  

1) Meetings at here are focused and open.  There is no timetable where you have to be in a meeting for "x" time.  We get through the agenda, take care of business, adjourn, and then go back to work.  Also, if you have a sport, activity, or club during the meeting time you are told to go to that responsibility and read the minutes of the meeting when you get them.

2) "Teach evaluations are to help you and I am not a master teacher that knows everything.  There is no such thing as a perfect lesson"- my principal.  Our admin team will use surveys and observations to give you tips and ideas to incorporate into your teaching.  "Our evaluations are us sharing notes, it's non-judgmental, and we are just an extra set of eyes." He said he will present it as: this is what I saw, not this is what you should do.  We also only have to complete a folder that shows that we have touched on the desired aspects of the evaluation tool- no portfolio or long document.

3) The admin is very open and straightforward regarding deadlines (emergency sub plans, website completion dates, etc), tasks (supervision dates, roles, etc) and expectations.  They are very clear with how things should be, but allow you to freedom to do what you need to do while holding you accountable.

4) The curriculum is moving towards the Common Core, but we are given full control what what we feel the students should use (texts/materials) to learn.  Creativity is a must, and innovation is expected.  They view us as content masters and that we should pass that knowledge through texts and methods that we see fit to our students.

5) We have a dress code.  Girls: jeans or dresses/skirts past the knee. Guys: jeans or khakis.  No holes, tears, print, etc on the pants and each school (elementary, middle, and high school) has a particular color polo they have to wear with our school logo.

6) We encourage technology.  Every student can bring their own device after filling out the proper paperwork.  We also have started a iPad initiative at our school.  Each teacher has an iPad 3, Apple TV, and a given amount of credits to purchase and use educational apps.

7)  Credit/Tardy recover.  If you are struggling in a course, you are moved to take it online.  If you are late to class you have an hour reflection time to complete work/reflection on your attendance issue.  If you missed your final exam for whatever reason, you have to pay to take.

8) Late policy here is one day late: 75% possible credit, two days late: 5% possible credit.

9) We have a shared folder with all the needed documents, schedules, forms, and even email templates to request everything from copies to computer issues. We also have a specific form for taking minutes at a meeting.  A lot of things are already designed, you just have to fill them in.

10) All agendas and times are followed, never exceeding the time.

11) Sports are M W F, with an hour of intramural (we are encouraged to play)  and "All-Stars" after that (think varsity) for an hour.  We host a big tournament with VANAS schools (local INTL schools) as our competition date.

12) T TH are teacher developed activities.  For example, environmental club, study help, ping pong, soccer, art, movie club, and many more.

13) No buses.  Nearly every student has a ride, very few walk.

14) Classes can be held outside.

15) No food, gum, drinks, or cell phones in class ever. Not even:

It's healthier than "diet" soda right?

That's all I had from my notes.  I think you can definitely see some differences from schools you've gone to or teach/taught in.  I am not saying one or the other is better, rather, I'm stating what was said in our large staff meetings, trainings, and things taken from our staff book.

Well there you have it.  A little more insight to my little corner of the world.  Tomorrow should be more of a challenge with juniors, seniors, and newspaper class.  Oh well it's:

HUMP DAY!
Tomorrow is also our first intramural pick up game.  These kids have no idea what they are getting themselves into.  I'm going to go Jody Davis (ex-Cubs catcher circa 1987) on them.

That does it for this episode.  Hope you enjoyed it!  Best of luck on the remainder of your week.  I'll check back in soon with a new story/update and some photos.

Take care of each other,

KRS




3 comments:

  1. At least they couldn't hit your 90 m/h pitches. So, are you going to Chino and Nacho concert this Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about having a bank account, just have 10 bucks in your pockets and you'll be able to pay whatever you want here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Can I apply? Sounds, uh interesting. We'll talk. :)

    ReplyDelete