Friday, August 16, 2013

Taking Away the Moments That Make Up A Dull Day

Hey there...

I'm currently listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, writing this offline on my phone in the complete dark (sans my emergency light), and sweating (no fans or ac).

Don't believe me:



When I got home from school the power was low (dim lights) and my water didn't work. Well, now we have zero power and water. As my friend Morris text me moments ago, "Welcome to Venezuela."

My day was much better than that though. Somehow last night between the pizza place and my apartment I lost my wallet and I didn't realize it until this morning. 

Yep. I am Jack's total absenteeism.

I have literally no idea where it went. I retraced my steps (car to elevator to apt), tore my house up, checked my friend's car- nothing.

I was told to call the pizza place, but I had to remind the texted (name will be held to protect the innocent, cough mom). But I had to remind her that this is Venezuela and people are not likely to turn it back in with money and cards in it.

No big deal though it just had my credit card, debit card, VZ bank card (which I waited 3 hours at the bank to receive yesterday!), school ID, emergency contact card, drivers license, and 200BsF. 

Rather that than my passport, but it's less than a satisfactory situation. I just hope I can figure something out before I fly home for the holidays in case something goes wrong and I need to buy a ticket, pay for food, get a hotel, etc. 

But I digress.

Yesterday, we had our first intramural pick up game. It was a riot. Four teachers played (and actually tried) along with eighteen middle school kids. It was a good time, I decided to show the kids (and staff) that I had some game by glove flipping a grounder up the middle to 2nd to start a double play. Hey you gotta ball out to get respect right?

Other than that not much new. School has really been going (not first day stuff), students have been making fun of my terrible pronunciation of spanish names, and the apparently there is Venezuelan's version of a boy band that people are going to this weekend, but I may look for other entertainment. 

Trying some sushi tomorrow night so cross your fingers for me. It's a popular, safe restaurant, but this city/country is unpredictable, so you just gotta go with it.

Here's a picture at the complex across the street. You can see the stores to the left have generators, but not the apartment complexes. We are in total darkness!


Well I hope you are enjoying running water (I worked out and thought I'd be able to shower when I got home, nope), lights, having your wallet/purse (don't worry that ones my fault), and are cool if it's hot and hot if it's cool.

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank all of you that read this. I really enjoy writing, especially when I know I can provide pictures and narratives about this country and experiences that you may not be able to yourself. The website says that in good days 200 people read a post! 200! I couldn't tell you what that would look like in a room, but thank you so much. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 

In the next few weeks/months before break I'll be going to baseball games, soccer matches, bull fighting and a blues club to just name a few. Those stories will be a little more fun than the usual.

I'm going to find a cool place in my apartment to try and sleep.  As Aston as I get electricity I'll post this baby.

Happy Friday, have a great week, and stay safe!

Wish you the best,
KRS

**editors note: the power came back on last night and that, coupled with the water of the toilets filling up, woke me up.  But hey, at least I could shower for school.

3 comments:

  1. Hello K

    I didn´t know you had such a gracious way to explain the Vzlan situation of a fake revolution of 14 years which has destroyed our country to the worst, still oil keep it up anyway, get ready for some more my friend. I wish you the best of the best in your adventure in Vzla. Good catches at Intramurals , I believe you are a great addition to our CIC Athletics program...

    see you

    Enrique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you loved the rolls (he had around twenty). I'm not talking about the the rolling balls in softball, but about sushi... It's ironic that you were listening to The Dark Side of the Moon when you got out of Money, lost Time looking for your wallet, and almost had a Brain Damage when you avoid that girl's kiss at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's not a good time, it's a good story... Right?

    ReplyDelete