Tuesday, January 7, 2014

B..B...B...Back in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela

Hello Again 

You may or may not have noticed the week gap in posts from 1800MPG.  We apologize, but we held the staff holiday party (I hung out with some coaches at Griz house [we are older and wiser now]) and spent time with the family before departing on the 1/2.  
I’m back here for the encore to my first set, so hopefully this goes better than my first go-round (aka I don’t lose my wallet, have gringo stomach, get homesick, you know all the nice things that have nothing to do with others/VZ but me personally).
I’d like to thank you for joining me on this journey the past few months and reading the words that I meticulously (by someone’s standards) and honestly write down depicting all sides of this journey.  That’s really what has been, a journey- not an epic (maybe a short epic [inside joke for my English friends]), but a journey mentally, physically, and spiritually.  It’s tested me in ways I never have been and put me in position to really see who and what I am (still up for debate).  It’s forced me to fall on my faith, my faith in people, and that everything works out well in the end. 
Those of you that know me well understand I’m not linear or Pollack-esq, but some sort of Hemingway meets Tim Ferris at a Pearl Jam concert (if you don’t understand that it’s ok, I didn’t at first either).  This whole experience has been like riding a way (I’ve never surfed by have been in boats and dinghy’s) that has given me perspective I could have never dreamed.  It hasn’t all been smooth sailing and I whole-heartedly appreciate the kind comments, responses, and emails.  It’s really helped me when times get tough (I’m a little emotional just saying that, and I used to be such a tough guy). 
Lastly, I appreciate your patience with my mad hatter approach to this blog.  It’ the most raw thing I’ve ever done/written, totally honest and full of mistakes (grammar/syntax/references), but it’s what I feel when I feel it.  I hope you enjoy the authenticity and thank you for looking past the cracks in the pavement.
Enough of the mushy stuff, onto the goods.

Saying Goodbye Pt. II

I really thought I was going to be able to hold it in and not break.  Nope I tea red up like a kid getting his sucker taken from him after running around the house after being told three times to stop.  We left fairly early as to not be late due to weather (we got lucky getting this flight in as 3700 flights nationwide were cancelled). 
We rolled down packed into my brother’s van, making small talk as the Illinois highway slithered parallel to the Mississippi River. The ride was uneventful and the tone somber.  We pulled into the airport parking lot, I got out my stuff, and in we went.
I reached the Delta kiosk and spoke with a rep.  I had no idea, but apparently you can just slide your passport through the computer, shamans perform voodoo magic, wah-la the boarding pass.  While all this black magic was going on the woman told me she used to teach English at a school in Korea before she met her husband and got married.  She asked where I was heading, I told her and her demeanor changed.  As I tossed my bag into the security scanner, I told her not to worry about me, it’s not as dangerous as CNN/Fox/MSNBC make it out to be. 
We hung out in the waiting area near the baggage claimed and slowly the clock ticked up.  Five weeks so fast and I really didn’t’ do anything besides hang out with family and friends (whole goal of going back) and eat.  I did great not eating crap until Dec. 23 (Lueders Family Christmas) and then it was mash city.  I ate everything, especially crap.  I’m carrying a few extra back with me, but the VZ sun will help with that. 
Waiting there was like being in a doctor’s office or waiting your turn at giving a speech in high school.  We all knew that eventually I had to get on the plane, but instead of being happy about my last few minutes in the states prior to my return, we were rather quiet (except Miles who was wound for sound).  I get really anxious before flying and had bad dreams the previous few nights so I was pretty quiet.  My parents talked to me about how fast this semester will go and how nice the flight will be.  I shook my head, thoughts drifting into the horizon.  I popped a view Xanax and then it was time.  I hugged my sis in law, sister, mom (both started to tear up), then my brother, then my nephew, then my dad, then my mom again and then my dad.  I was filling up with tears trying not to have my voice break while I spoke with them.  With each step towards TSA security, I fought back and won.  But after going through the scanner and putting my shoes on I looked back and waved.  Started crying again, turned and started for the gate. 
I used to be such a tough guy. 
So it goes.

The Flight Back

 After the family goodbye, I made my way to the gate and got into the plane.  Some people were making small talk and I got to thinking that I have never talked to anyone on a flight besides the people.  Except for once in NYC with Heather when she was passed out on Dramamine and this older fellow was telling me places to eat.  He had good advice and made the ensuing hard climb from a “near miss” as the NYC news later reported between us and another plane. 

Any who, the lady next to me apparently heard my inner monologue and started chatting me up.  She was about 80 and had worked for a Christian organization that did missions all over the world.  She was super nice and had some great stories.  She had been everywhere from Russia to Africa to Central American and certain parts of the US.  I enjoyed everything she had to say except about how many times she’s had problems with small planes like the one we were on and specifically at QC Airport. 



That’s what we in the business call foreshadowing. 

Looks cool, but feels oh so cold. 

We have been waiting for about 15mins due to a mechanical issue and then finally the pilot tells us they are letting us get off the plane because the right engine won’t start.  Cool.

We all get off the plane and make our way to the seating area.  I just lean up against the wall away from people trying to relax and listen to music, but I figure I might as well go the bathroom while we are here (I’m afraid to go on the plane).  I am washing my hands and realize something is wrong.  My wallet is there…apt keys… no passport.  OH F&#@.  I hustle out of there and see it in its case right where I had left.  That would have been a deal breaker.  Well done by me I know.

About this time we are allowed to go back into the plane and I sit back down.  The missionary next to me laughed, and said, “See.”  I couldn’t help but chuckle until the pilot got back on the PA.

“Yeah folks sorry about the delay.  We didn’t have air in the cabin early and you may have noticed it was a little warm.  Well we tricked the computer and got both the air and the right engine to start so we are good to go.”

Duuuuuudddeeee….

Meanwhile somewhere over the Southeast...

Flight went great until I got to Atlanta and my mom called and told me that I forgot the iPod I bought to bring down. 

I dropped an F bomb right then and there.  Parents weren’t happy with me, but what can you do.

The next flight was easy, but even with 1.5 Xanax I couldn’t sleep.  I felt like Will Ferrell in Old School though.  

My buddy Marshall was waiting for me at the Caracas airport (he was just getting in from Argentina) and we were splitting a cab.  He said I looked so out of it and slow.  I slept on the cab ride to my apartment and got in at like 1:15am.  Not bad for leaving at 9am. 

The next two days I basically just slept and played Call of Duty (video game for you guys that don't game).  

Observations Since Being Back


  1.  It was still the holiday when I got here on Thursday and this place was dead.  Nobody on the road and very few people out in the neighborhood.  It was actually kind of quiet and felt like a small town.
  2. The New Year is a bigger deal here.  Venezuelans great each other with a sincere “Happy New Year” followed with a handshake, hug, and conversation about your break.  I admire the sincerity.
  3. The huge cross lit up on a power tower.  It’s really cool at night along with the decorations that remain ip January 3rd is a holiday here as well. 
  4. It doesn’t feel the 90 it says it is.  It actually reminds me of the middle of football when the temp has broken a little and the humidity has died down. 
  5. Lots of students haven’t returned from break yet.  Apparently five weeks isn’t enough!

Coolest Places My Students Went on Break


  1. Dubai 
  2. Milan, Italy (Study Italian)
  3. Paris, France
  4. Barcelona, Spain
  5. Miami (seemed most traveled here at some point)


I’ve been a bit of a mess lately and not able to sleep so I’m going to wrap this up and bid you adieu.  Hopefully, I can get over this and get some good zzz’s to be ready for work tomorrow. 


Happy New Year!  I wish you blessings and good tidings in the year of opportunities that lie ahead. 

Until Next Time,

KRS

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back, very entertaining read and yes new year is a huge celebration for us here in VZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Kellen! I so enjoy reading your blogs!!!!

    ReplyDelete