Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Blue Monday's Gone! (But Nothing Else Is Going On Either)

Howdy.

Four days into the new semester and I already have some kids (juniors/seniors) shutting it down.  I know what you are thinking, I should make it much more engaging and do more individualized instruction.  I do. 

The problem is free will (it’s the thing that educational leaders forget to take into consideration when developing doctrine).  If a rebellious 15-18 year old kid doesn’t want to do something, what can you do?  There are limited things in tool belt a teacher can use and even fewer things that can be used as motivation.   I’m not bagging the system (everyone knows it’s flawed, but how to fix it is anyone’s guess- ask 5 people get 7 responses [yes, I realize those numbers are 5 and 7]).  It is what it is.  I’m just stating the fact.   So it goes.

Long story short, nothing is really different when it comes to kids.  Public or private school, USA or Venezuela, kids are kids. But you knew that.

Not Much Ado About Anything

The big story from down here is nothing.  Not much going on.  Even though some of the students are still trickling back from break (crazy right?), most of the citizens are back and the rat race has begun again. 

School has hit the ground running.  Today we had our first semester sports awards assembly.  All of the coaches got to call up there team and they were presented a medal by the athletic department.  Each coach gave a brief synopsis on their season, the tournament, and their MVP.  It was a pretty cool little event.  I had to speak for both of our softball teams since Frank was busy teaching (likely excuse).  I was probably too brief and nervous about mispronouncing a student’s name (I’ve lived it for years, it’s not cool), but I got the job done.  I give myself a B-/C+. 

I get emails or iMessages from friends back stateside and they usually revolve around their wish of having Venezuelan weather opposed to the grey/cold of a large portion of the continental US.  It is nice it actually has really been mild lately.  It’s pulled mental tricks on me making me think it’s near the end of track season and the end of the year.  We are a long way from that.  It’s nice; I just wish I had a bike and some non-crazy-busy roads to crush on it.  Oh well, when I get back I’ll get some miles in. 

Some ex-pat staff is having trouble getting tickets back to their specific port of origin for the summer due to airlines not wanting to accept bolivars.  If you’re interested in the topic the Miami Herald and NYT have had pieces on it.  We have to submit our travel plans tomorrow, so hopefully when I get my itinerary from the agency it’s all good.

It will be.

Congrats on making it through Blue Monday.  The worst day of the year is behind you!  That’s kind of exciting to get that out of the way eh? 

The rest of the week is pretty chill down here.  We have our Vanas Conference on Friday, the beach on Saturday (I’m pretty white, so hopefully my sunscreen works), and then the Division games on Sunday.  I’m starting to learn to enjoy the game without the broadcasters (on mute due to Spanish commentators). 

That’s all I got.  Not much going on here yet.  You can find all the bad news you want in the newspapers if you want to, but I don’t roll like that.  Things are good, I’m fine and the big wheel keeps turning.

Happy Birthday Dave Grohl

In other new’s, today is David Eric Grohl’s 45th birthday.  If you don’t know who he is he played in a little band called Nirvana (helped shape my high school years) and founded the Foo Fighters.  He’s also a member of Them Crooked Vultures and pseudo-member of Queens of the Stone Age (he has done session work for tons of people, but I’ll leave it be).  Which are all some of my favorite bands.

Here are 4.5 of my favorite Dave Grohl videos.  If you don’t want to see them don’t go down any further.

Have a great rest of the week and be good to each other out there. 

Until next time,


KRS






This interview counts as a half.  



No comments:

Post a Comment