Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fill'er up

Happy Hump Day!

I figured that due to the thorough lameness of yesterday's post (not much to say) that I would include a bonus piece today of something you actually may take interest in.

I've had this nugget in my inbox for just over a week and have been trying to remind myself to include it, but I forgot....UNTIL NOW.

Happy New Year! Why does he look constipated?

 As you know, gas (in the form of oil based gasoline, not natural or flatulence) is super cheap here due to Venezuela being #1 on Dick Clark's World's Largest Oil Reserve Top 40.  Their dominance at the top is equal to that of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon's run at 741 weeks in the Billboard chart. 


Iconic. I listen to it every night before bed.

I'll spare you the details of how the oil turns to gas here, just know this: it's f'n cheap.

How cheap you may add?  Let me show you. 

My friend Jon Moreno-Ramirez (he's cool enough to have TWO last names) and I were trying to find an iPod workout sleeve for his wife's birthday.  I left that and the iPod itself back in Clinton (my one job and I blew it).  After a few failed attempts he said he needed to get some gas, so we pulled up to the gas station and got into line. 

Yep, a line. This ain't Iowa. All of the gas here is pumped by an attendant and not all pumps are open.  On this day they were filtering us through four.  While in line and between hardcore songs  I mumbled I wonder how much a gallon of gas really costs here.  Jon's a smart guy (teaches Calc/AP Physics) so I was hoping to get the gears turning.  We talked it out and came up with an approximate amount. 

Lucky for me when he got home it ate at him and he did the calculations.  This is what he got (all work is his, I'm just cutting and pasting):


How wild is that?  This past December the government is talking about raising the price to help with social works and national issues.  Even with a gradual hike it will still be crazy cheap (at press time gas at Kwik Star on Lincoln Way in Clinton was $3.22 a gallon).

Thanks again to Jon for the legwork.

Have a great rest of the week.

Peace.

1 comment: